In this post I would like to discuss about setting up SQL Server 2012 Clustering on Windows Server 2008 R2. This includes setting up windows clustering as well.
1) I first went to windows server manager and expanded features and selected .net framework 3.5.1 and then selected failover clustering service. At the time of installation the server manager prompted that the .net framework requires the iis role to be installed. Said OK and installed on both nodes.
2) After the installation was completed tried to create a cluster. Added both nodes and at the time of validation it errored out with the message:
An error occurred while executing the test.
There was an error getting information about the running processes on the nodes.
There was an error retrieving information about the Processes from node ‘node name‘.
Checked to see what the issue was and found that we have a hot fix available for this issue. At the same time identified that both the nodes were not patched. Applying the patches fixed the issue.
3) Below are the cluster name and IP Addresses that I have assigned
4) Below is the confirmation
At this point of time on 192.168.31.4 has the storage attached and as shown in the below screenshot is how the Failover Cluster Manager appears:
5) Now I will install sql server 2012. I am using Windows Server 2008 R2. When I tried to install sql server 2012 I got a message that my OS has to be upgraded to SP1. Below is the message:
6) I have now installed SP1 on both nodes in the cluster.
7) Installing SQL
8) In setup.exe go to advanced tab and select Advanced Cluster Preparation
The installation begins like normal and then after the prereq verification is done it will prompt for a product key.
Now you need to accept the license terms and it prompts for product updates.
The next step would be to identify problems that might occur with the setup support files. Fix any issues if noticed or identified.
The next step would be to select features and I need Database Engine and SSMS for now.
Click Next to configure the instance. I am choosing the named instance option and I am naming it as TestEnv.
The next step would be to verify if the disk space requirements are met. Click Next. This will take us to the Server configuration page prompting us for account name and password settings.
Ensure that the startup types are manual for the sqlserver agent. I chose manual for both services. Click Next and it will take us to the “Help MS improve sql server features and services” page.
Copy the configuration file path which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20130807_170107\ConfigurationFile.ini and then click Install.
Installation on Node A is done.
9) Now lets go to Node B
10) Go to setup.exe of sql 2012 and go to advanced tab and select ‘Install based on configuration file’
Rest of the installation is similar to what has been performed on Node A.
11) Now on Node A launch setup.exe and click on advanced tab and then click on Advanced cluster completion and then in the setup support files window click OK as shown below
In the cluster node configuration enter the SQL Server Network Name shown below:
In the Cluster Disk Selection window check the disks to be included in the sql server resource cluster group as shown below:
Enter IP Addresses for the Cluster Network 1 and 2 as shown above in the cluster network configuration window and then click Next
In the database engine configuration window choose the authentication mode. For Mixed Mode enter the password and add the user you want to be sysadmin as shown
Enter the paths you want to choose for data, logs, backups and Tempdb database files in the data directories tab as shown
Windows and SQL Clustering is now setup successfully.
12) This is how my failover cluster manager looks now
Hope this step by step installation process helps!